Step 1. Export an FCP Sequence to a CineForm HD QuickTime file
1. Make sure the CineForm MacOS codec is installed on your Mac.
2. Load your FCP project and select the sequence you wish to export.
3. From the File menu select ‘Export > QuickTime Movie…’.
4. In the Settings drop-down menu, select ‘Custom’.
5. Keep most of the settings the same as your sequence preset. Make sure the resolution and frame rate are the same as your sequence settings.
6. Select CineForm HD in the Compressor drop-down menu.
7. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button and select a quality for the compressor by using the Quality slider.
Some notes about the FCP Quality slider for CineForm files:
• "Best" on the FCP slider corresponds to the Windows setting that we call "Filmscan 2". We don't recommend you use Best/Filmscan2 for most work as the files are larger (internally we often call it "Overkill"), and except for demanding keying or effects work you will be well served with High (Windows: "Filmscan") or Medium (Windows: "High"). Obviously your own tests for optimum quality settings for your projects are recommended.
8. Click on the ‘Options’ button. Select ‘Enable RGB 4:4:4 encoding’ (optional). If you do NOT select 4:4:4 then the resulting CineForm Intermediate files are 4:2:2 YUV.
9. Click on the ‘Video Processing’ Tab and select the option to ‘Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV'.
10. Click ‘OK’ to close the Sequence Preset Editor window.
11. Select a name for your exported file and click ‘Save’.
After you finish exporting your CineForm QuickTime file from Final Cut Pro, you can use the resulting CineForm QT file on the Mac, or you can copy it from your Mac to a Windows PC.
Step 2. Convert a CineForm QuickTime file to a CineForm AVI file
CineForm QuickTime files are fully compatible on Windows within those applications (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Combustion, etc) that recognize QT files.
For those Windows applications that prefer AVI files, CineForm's HDLink utility (Windows only) can convert between CineForm QT and CineForm AVI files (or vice versa). For conversions in which no signal processing (inverse telecine, spatial resampling, etc) is being performed, re-wrapping a CineForm QT file to a CineForm AVI file is very fast process because the underlying compression is not being touched - one wrapper is simply being replaced with another.
1. Load HDLink from within the CineForm folder under Start Menu.
2. Click on the ‘Convert’ tab.
3. Click the ‘Select Files…’ button and choose the files you wish to convert. Click ‘Open’ (if you don’t see the files listed, and select ‘All Files’ in the ‘Files of Type’ drop-down menu).
4. Click on the ‘Prefs’ button (bottom right) which brings up the panel shown on the right.
5. Select AVI as the Destination File Format for Capture and Conversion options. NOTE: If converting from AVI files to QT (MOV) files, you would select MOV instead
6. Choose a quality level in the Quality drop-down menu. In general we recommend using either "High" or "Filmscan" modes in general. "Filmscan 2" is primarily for critical keying or compositing work, but we often refer to it as "Overkill" for most NLE work.
7. Select ‘Automatic’ for the Frame Format.
8. Check the boxes for ‘Maintain audio pitch’ and ‘Keep source aspect ratio and leave everything else at the defaults.
9, Click 'OK' to return to the main panel.
10. Click 'START' to begin the re-wrapping process.